Experienced editor, writer, photojournalist, and blogger possessing exceptional research, investigative, and analytical skills. Strongly self-directed, with proven ability to work independently on multiple projects and meet deadlines under stress. Extensive background in politics and current events. Solid computer and Internet abilities.
Certified fitness and martial arts trainer. Skilled at developing fitness routines to match client goals using tools such as kettlebells, yoga, and plyometrics. Instructor of practical, street-oriented self-defense using methods proven in mixed martial arts competition as well as the Filipino weapon art of Kali.
Specialties: Magazine and newspaper production, writing, and editing.
Unconventional strength and conditioning. Practical self-defense.
Assistant Editor, Ho’okele Newspaper, 06/2012 – Present
▪ Provide support to the Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam public affairs office and ensure that their message reaches the widest audience.
▪ Writing stories and taking photographs of local events.
▪ Conducting interviews of Navy and Air Force newsmakers.
▪ Editing and proofreading news stories.
Freelance Writer and Editor, 09/2005 – Present
Current and recent jobs include:
▪ Wrote weekly posts about animal-related issues and news stories.
▪ Created petitions to spur social change.
Reporter, Hawaii Army Weekly
▪ Write news stories about events occurring on the state’s largest Army base.
▪ Interview and profile a variety of individuals, from martial artists to businesspeople to academics.
▪ Cover local events, including competitions and exhibits.
▪ Research and investigate newsworthy happenings.
Publications Consultant, Grassroot Institute of Hawaii
▪ Compiled, edited, dispersed, and wrote material for weekly institutional newsletter.
▪ Wrote press releases.
▪ Ghostwrote columns for institute staff.
▪ Edited brochures, letters, and other written materials.
Investigator, United States Investigative Services, 10/2002-09/2005
▪ Conducted extensive background checks of military and federal personnel.
▪ Developed leads and interviewed the best available sources to gain additional data.
▪ Wrote detailed reports of investigation.
Associate Editor, The American Enterprise Magazine, 09/1999- 09/2006
▪ Compiled and wrote three different recurring columns.
▪ Wrote essays on books and served as book review editor.
▪ Researched and wrote feature articles on diverse topics.
▪ Edited books and speeches to feature article length.
▪ Prepared and distributed press releases.
Clerk, United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 05/1997- 06/1999
▪ Wrote, reviewed, and edited correspondence and memos.
▪ Gathered and analyzed evidence relating to ongoing investigations.
▪ Assisted companies in complying with civil rights laws.
▪ Input data regarding cases into the agency’s database.
▪ Organized conferences and seminars.
▪ Arranged for employee travel.
▪ Provided support to field agents in Saipan and Guam.
▪ Created and maintained database of local civil rights attorneys and officials.
Student Aide, Chaminade University of Honolulu, 09/1996- 05/1997
▪ Organized and maintained confidential records and files.
▪ Prepared statistical tables to aid in evaluating faculty performance.
▪ Assisted students interested in the graduate program.
▪ Checked and graded exams.
▪ Created and dispersed information packets.
Assistant Manager, Chun Kim Chow, Ltd. 11/1989- 09/1995
▪ Trained and supervised a staff of twelve employees.
▪ Screened potential job applicants.
▪ Prepared personnel schedules.
▪ Balanced the cash registers and performed other daily accounting duties.
▪ Aided the buyer in merchandise purchases.
▪ Created marketing displays.
▪ Oversaw and conducted annual inventory.
▪ Provided customer service.
▪ Provided assistance and guidance regarding security issues.
▪ Ordered services, supplies and equipment.
Chaminade University of Honolulu, BA Political and Historical Studies